Gary started his professional life with the HMRC at the tender age of just 16 – and in 2015, Joined the National Minimum Wage department as an investigator.
Within a year, Gary was promoted to higher/complex cases and after 4 years in investigations/casework, Gary took advantage of his journalism degree and moved into the ‘Promoting Compliance’ team where he took on the employer education and engagement portfolio.
This included presenting NMW live webinars to over 20,000 employers every year, publishing online guidance, and running a number of projects with outside organisations – basically the carrot to the ‘stick’ of the usual enforcement work from HMRC.
Gary became known as ‘The Voice of NMW’.
In 2022, Gary linked up with Jeni Morris – head of EYs NMW team, and joined EY to become part of their dedicated NMW team.
In this “National Minimum Wage Changes & Challenges” with Gary Henderson on The Payroll Podcast, we explore:
- What does the word payroll mean to you?
- How did you start your journey in the NMW world?
- What was one of the biggest challenges at the HMRC?
- Has your role changed since you joined EY now the “shackles” are off?
- What should we be looking out for in HMRC NMW enforcement this year?
- What common challenges do businesses face when it comes to NMW?
- What are the risks around excess hours for salaried workers?
- What are the most common inquiries related to the new rates?
- What advice would you give clients to help them get NMW right?
- What’s the most rewarding part of working in NMW?
Links highlighted in this “National Minimum Wage – Changes and Challenges” episode are included below:
- Ernst & Young Website: https://www.ey.com/en_uk
- Gary Henderson LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gary-henderson-6aa52b119/
- Gary Henderson Email: Gary.email@example.com
- Jeni Morris Email: Jeni.Morris@uk.ey.com
- Nick Day LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nickday/
- Leading Payroll Recruiters: JGA Payroll Recruitment
- Enjoyed this show? Why not ask your HR Team to check out our other show The HR L&D Podcast?
Remember, if you are a #Payroll Leader listening to this podcast and you have a Payroll-related vacancy requiring specialist payroll recruitment support, please get in touch with me! I would love to help show you what an excellent payroll recruitment experience feels like! You can reach me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01727 800377
Find out more at: www.jgarecruitment.com.
Thanks for listening! I hope you enjoyed this episode of The Payroll Podcast, and I look forward to bringing you the next episode soon!